Welcome back to our “what the heck is that” series, refreshed for 2023, where we discuss some of the unique fasteners and electronic hardware that manufacturers use in the design and assembly of their products. Today, we will introduce you to the Plastite® Alternative Screws. This fastener creates reusable threads in plastics. It goes by many monikers, and is AKA as a Thread-forming, Thread-Rolling, Trilobular, and sometimes thread-cutting screws. Plastite® Alternative Screws require a drilled or punched hole to install. In general, thread-forming screws press threads into material for a tight, vibration resistant assembly, while thread-cutting screws require less driving torque and cause less stress on material than thread-forming screws.
What are Plastite® Alternative Screws?
Plastite® Alternative Screws are trilobular thread-forming / thread-rolling screws specifically designed for plastic and thermoplastic applications. Their design include a cutting or thread-forming tip that grants them thread-forming, thread-rolling action as they are driven into the plastic material’s hole.
These fasteners do not need pre-tapped or pre-threaded holes because, when their threads are driven into the plastic application, they tend to displace the plastic within the internal sides of the hole and form a female thread. This newly formed internal thread is then used against the male thread of the screw to tighten it, with the right driver’s torque, securely in place.
It is also worth mentioning that they come in a variety of heads, drives, materials and finishes that are designed for specific or unique plastic and thermoplastic fastening solutions.
AKA – Also known as…..
Plastite® Alternative Screws are also called Plas-Fix®45 Alternative, Plastite® Alternative and EJOT® PT® Alternative Self-Tapping Screws. They are designed with an optimized thread-forming / thread-rolling action that enables efficient engagement and provides increased holding power when used exclusively in plastic applications.
Who uses Plastite® Alternative Screws?
Any plastic or thermoplastic application with a bore/hole that needs to reliably secure the mating of plastic components, and that needs to eliminate the need for additional tapping or threading operations is a great candidate for using this type of fasteners!
Plastite® Alternative Screws are broadly used across various plastic and thermoplastic applications in many industries, including: electronics, electrical engineering, packaging, appliances, industrial assemblies and equipment, and many more. Plastite® Alternative Screws are also very common in the automotive industry for fastening some of its plastic components, such as dashboard assemblies, door panels, and engine compartments.
What materials and sizes are available?
Plastite® Alternative Screws are readily available off the shelf in steel—with a black oxide, black zinc, zinc or zinc yellow finish—A2 stainless steel, 410 stainless steel, and stainless steel materials. In addition, some of these screws also follow the ASME B18.6.3 standard.
Standard stock sizes for the head diameter are Inch from #0-40 to #5/16-9, and Metric from M1.6-0.67 to M6-2.5. Popular Metric thread classes include full 30 & 45 degree thread flank.
Are there other factors to consider?
YES! It is generally recommended to pre-drill or pre-punch holes, that are deep enough to hold the entire length of the screws, in the plastic material/application. This should be done in order to ensure proper thread formation and minimize the risk of material damage.
Popular brands include: Plastite®, Plas-Fix®45 and EJOT® PT®.
Plastite® Alternative Screws at MF Supply
We currently offer:
- A full range of commercial parts, including parts that are ROHS compliant.
- Inch and Metric parts are now available for online purchase at our website!
- Brand names and generic equivalents.
- Custom made parts per print.
For more detailed information on Plastite® Alternative Screws or other Trilobular Thread-Rolling / Thread-Forming Screws, visit us at our website or Request a Quote today, and our MF Supply team of sourcing experts can help you find what you need. “Finding the right screw for you” is our tag line after all!
Book a one-on-one consultation with our President, Robin, to discuss how MF Supply can help you solve your Industrial Sourcing, Fastener, and Safety concerns.
Six Reasons To Buy From MF Supply
- Full eCommerce Enabled Website With Technical Manual Available 24/7 – Visit our website and Create a New Account, track online orders, browse our product catalog, check technical specs, subscribe to our blog, or buy online. We are adding items and improving functionality daily!
- Same Day Shipping From The USA – Our hardware products are in stock and ship to you directly from our USA based distribution centers.
- Functional Equivalents To Expensive Brand Names- We stock and source alternatives to brand name fasteners, reducing long lead times and saving you money.
- Creatively Solve Problems – We are sourcing experts, offer competitive pricing and specialize in finding hard to find parts and reducing long deliveries.
- One-Stop Shopping On Certified Hardware – We stock and source a full line of fasteners including Mil-Spec, DFARS compliant and other industrial products.
- WBE/WOSB Woman Owned Certified Small Business – To meet your diversity & set-aside needs.