Reposted: March 9, 2023
Author: Robin Lieberman
What the heck is that?
Welcome to our “what the heck is that” series, refreshed for 2023, where we discuss some of the unique fasteners and electronic hardware that manufacturers use in the design and assembly of their products. Today, we will introduce you to a fastener made of two pieces – this little guy is called the Cage Nut.
What the heck is a Cage Nut?
A Cage Nut contains a free floating threaded square Nut retained within a spring steel cage. The spring steel cage has two Mounting legs or wings that, when pressed together, allow the nut to clip into the square hole and lock the fastener in place within the rack hole.
Who uses Cage Nuts?
Cage Nuts are commonly used to mount lighting systems, electrical equipment or instruments onto rail racks. The Cage Nut clips into the rack’s square mounting hole and usually positions the Nut toward the inside of the rack. The Nut is typically loose or “floating” in the Cage to allow for adjustments when installing the screw. This configuration allows flexibility in mounting and assembling components.
AKA – Also known as…..
Cage Nut is a funny little guy and answers to a bunch of different names – some of Cage Nut’s favorite aliases are: Grip Nuts, Retainer Nuts, Rack Nuts or Floating Nuts. Lots of monikers!
Advantages of Cage Nuts
- Snap directly into square rack holes
- Easily installed with no special tools or skills, eliminating the need for special operations
- The Nut floats within the spring-steel cage which offsets normal hole misalignment
- Can be easily popped out and replaced
- Ideal when removal or installation of rack components might cause holes to strip
- Combines flexibility of spring steel cage with the strength of a threaded nut
Lessons learned- Considerations when selecting Cage Nuts
- I always recommend purchasing the corresponding screw to go with the Cage Nuts (i.e. buy the 3/8-16 Cage Nuts together with the 3/8-16 screws). This prevents you from selecting the wrong size Cage Nut. To be 100% sure, you should do a quick test to make sure the screws and Cage Nuts fit together before beginning the installation process.
- When it comes to installation, Cage Nuts can be tough on your fingers when trying to install or uninstall them with your bare hands. Consider using a Cage Nut Tool.
- Sizing is based on 3 components: The screw thread, panel thickness and mounting hole. Double check your measurements before you make your purchase.
Cage Nuts in Stock at MF Supply
- From imperial size 6-32 up to ½-13
- Metric M5 and M6
- Stainless Steel
- Steel zinc plated
- Tinnerman alternatives
Other sizes, materials and platings are available upon request.
Book a one-on-one consultation with our President, Robin, to discuss how MF Supply can help you solve your Industrial Sourcing, Fastener, and Safety concerns.
Six Reasons To Buy From MF Supply
- Full eCommerce Enabled Website With Technical Manual Available 24/7 – Visit our website and Create a New Account, track online orders, browse our product catalog, check technical specs, subscribe to our blog, or buy online. We are adding items and improving functionality daily!
- Same Day Shipping From The USA – Our hardware products are in stock and ship to you directly from our USA based distribution centers.
- Functional Equivalents To Expensive Brand Names- We stock and source alternatives to brand name fasteners, reducing long lead times and saving you money.
- Creatively Solve Problems – We are sourcing experts, offer competitive pricing and specialize in finding hard to find parts and reducing long deliveries.
- One-Stop Shopping On Certified Hardware – We stock and source a full line of fasteners including Mil-Spec, DFARS compliant and other industrial products.
- WBE/WOSB Woman Owned Certified Small Business – To meet your diversity & set-aside needs.
MF Supply is a WBE/WOSB certified supply chain partner to business, industry and government. We are sourcing experts and stocking distributors of Hardware, Precision & Mil-Spec Fasteners and Safety supplies. For more than 50 years, we have been supplying manufacturers in the electronics, industrial, commercial, aerospace and military markets with the full range of fastener products and services. Our Cage Code is 58QG4 and our registered name is RL Supply Inc dba MF Supply.