Precision Shoulder Screws!? What the heck are those?Posted: April 26, 2023
What the heck are Precision Shoulder Screws?
Here we go again, with our “what the heck is that” series refreshed for 2023, where we discuss some of the unique fasteners and electronic hardware that manufacturers use in the design and assembly of their products. Today, we will re-introduce you to the Shoulder Screw!
What is a Precision Shoulder Screw?
Shoulder Screws, which are sometimes called Shoulder Bolts or Stripper Bolts, are (generally) hex socket screws with an enlarged, unthreaded cylindrical shoulder under the head. They are comprised of 3 main parts: the head, the shoulder and the thread. They come in two basic categories, “Commercial” and “Precision”.
Commercial Shoulder Screws are made to inch standard ANSI ASME B18.8.2. The size range for the shoulder diameter is from ¼ to 2”. The thread class is 3A and the tolerance on the shoulder is +.005 / -.005.
Precision Shoulder screws are sometimes referred to as “tight tolerance” shoulder screws. They are not governed by any official ANSI or ASME standard. The size range for the shoulder diameter is from 3/32 to ½. The thread class is 2A and the tolerance on the shoulder diameter varies from +.000/-.001 to -.0005 to -.0015 depending upon the manufacturer. Now that’s precise!
Who uses Shoulder Screws?
Just as Dowel Pins and Retaining Rings are used to locate or hold parts together within a precision assembly or a fixture, so are Precision Shoulder Screws.
Yet shoulder screws are more versatile. When installed, the unthreaded shoulder acts as a shaft for rotating items such as bearings and bushings, precision spacing, machinery support, and motion guiding. Precision Shoulder screws exacting tolerances make them ideal for use with other precision components.
They are broadly used across various applications in many industries, including: aerospace, electrical motors, hydraulic equipment, instrumentation, tooling and fixtures, machinery, military and many more.
What do I need to consider when selecting Shoulder Screws?
Although Shoulder Screws are offered in a multitude of materials and styles, when it comes to the main commercial and precision offerings, there are a few main issues to consider.
Which Drive and Head Style?
Precision shoulder screws are readily available in hex socket and slotted drives. Philips drives are available in certain sizes. Torx and Star are available for special order. Typical head styles are a modified fillister with a flat top where the head diameter is about twice the head height. Low head fillisters are available in certain sizes
Which material do I need?
Precision shoulder bolts are readily available in Type 18-8/303 Stainless Steel and 416 Stainless Steel. 316 Stainless Steel, Alloy and other exotic materials are available for special order.
Are there other factors to consider?
When ordering Precision Shoulder screws, specify the Shoulder Diameter, Shoulder length, thread size, material and drive type. For example, an example of a typical Precision Shoulder screw is a ¼ shoulder x ½ long x 10-32 thread in SS18-8 with a hex-socket drive. Non-locking is the most popular style, but locking may also be available.
Precision Shoulder Bolts often show up under their brand name. Some of the most popular brands include: BERG, Concord, Globe, PIC, Lyn-tron and RAF. A comprehensive selection of Shoulder Screws is also offered by McMaster-Carr (tight tolerance series), MSC and Grainger.
Finally, Precision Shoulder Screws can also show up under their Mil-spec numbers, which include MS51575 & MS51576 and are DFARS compliant with full paperwork.
We currently offer:
- The full range of commercial and mil-spec parts, including parts that are DFARS and ROHS compliant.
- MS51576 Now available for online purchase!
- Brand names and generic equivalents.
- Custom made parts per print in non-standard and exotic materials and finishes.
- Inch, Metric and Mil-Spec sizes.
For more detailed information on Precision Shoulder Screws, visit us at our website or Request a Quote today, and our MF Supply team of sourcing experts can help you find what you need. “Finding the right screw for you” is our tag line after all!
Book a one-on-one consultation with our President, Robin, to discuss how MF Supply can help you solve your Industrial Sourcing, Fastener, and Safety concerns.
Six Reasons To Buy From MF Supply
- Full eCommerce Enabled Website With Technical Manual Available 24/7 – Visit our website and Create a New Account, track online orders, browse our product catalog, check technical specs, subscribe to our blog, or buy online. We are adding items and improving functionality daily!
- Same Day Shipping From The USA – Our hardware products are in stock and ship to you directly from our USA based distribution centers.
- Functional Equivalents To Expensive Brand Names- We stock and source alternatives to brand name fasteners, reducing long lead times and saving you money.
- Creatively Solve Problems – We are sourcing experts, offer competitive pricing and specialize in finding hard to find parts and reducing long deliveries.
- One-Stop Shopping On Certified Hardware – We stock and source a full line of fasteners including Mil-Spec, DFARS compliant and other industrial products.
- WBE/WOSB Woman Owned Certified Small Business – To meet your diversity & set-aside needs.
MF Supply is a WBE/WOSB certified supply chain partner to business, industry and government. We are sourcing experts and stocking distributors of Hardware, Precision & Mil-Spec Fasteners and Safety supplies. For more than 50 years, we have been supplying manufacturers in the electronics, industrial, commercial, aerospace and military markets with the full range of fastener products and services. Our Cage Code is 58QG4 and our registered name is RL Supply Inc dba MF Supply.